We envision a community engaged in reading from childhood through adulthood.
ReadOKC is an initiative of the OKCPS Compact, led by Oklahoma City Public Schools Foundation. Our mission is to instill the love of reading in the students of OKCPS and in our community.
Primary Goals of ReadOKC:
- Organize reading challenges during school breaks, with a goal for every student to read 20 minutes per day.
- Recruit caring adults to serve as Reading Buddies.
- Improve access to reading materials for all of our children. ReadOKC Little Libraries and ReadOKC On the Go! are part of this effort.
Host a ReadOKC Book Drive!
How to Get Involved with ReadOKC:
- Join the ReadOKC Taskforce – made up of community partners passionate about reading/literacy and educators invested in their students’ reading success. We meet quarterly and would love to hear from you.
- Become a Reading Buddy – engage with a student or small group of students on a consistent basis. Enjoy reading with them and serve as a mentor in their lives.
- Support our reading challenges by providing incentives
- Volunteer with our ReadOKC On the Go! Book Bus, lead a book drive or serve as a steward of a Little Library
- For more information, contact Abbie@okckids.com
For Schools and Students:
Students can log their reading minutes online through Beanstack by logging into Clever (instructions below), OR by filling out the reading log for each challenge and returning it to their teacher.